strawberries


 I was recently playing around editing random pictures in my camera roll when the colors suddenly inverted. It formed a brand new picture, strikingly different from the un-edited one. The first picture was a bowl of fruit with bright red strawberries, perfect navy blueberries, and glistening pink raspberries. The filter, however, turned this upside down. The strawberries were now a startling neon blue, the blue berries-white, and the raspberries a bright green. These colors simply did not match, they were unrealistic and jarring. 

For some reason, I pondered this further and realized that even if the strawberries were red, the shade could change based on the person's eye-sight, some people could see more vivid shades of color. Then what about color where there were only slight variances like pink and red. Were they interchangeable? If pink and red could be interchangeable what was the guarantee that others saw the same colors. School buses, bananas, and rubber ducks are all yellow, but what if my yellow is someone else's purple? 

If colors are so synonymous, what about objects. How do I know the computer in front of me is a computer? It could seem like a computer to me but be something entirely different to someone else. Meaning that everything could be anything, or it could also be nothing. How do I know that anything I see is there? I don't. Everyone else and I can see the world around us in varying ways, but what if what we see  isn't there?    

This is scary to think about, then the entire solid foundation of facts which we've build society and science on comes crashing down. I think in this case, as opposed to pondering too much, ignorance is bliss. This entire thought process has been riveting to document and has given me a new obsession with philosophy. I hope you enjoyed jumping through an existential rabbit hole with me! 




Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts